Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Frankenstein


Frankenstein is one of my favorite stories of all time. I read the book years and years ago, I remember the main story line and plot points and what happens but I had forgotten the feelings it evoked in me. So I decided to read it again and to pay close attention to how I react to it. I am a firm believer that the less you see of the monster or villain the more terrifying they become. The human imagination is a wonderful and amazing thing and when reading or watching horror where the monster is very rarely seen we tend to let out imagination run and put the things we fear most into story. Shelley did a wonderful job in taking the idea of a monster that every child fears and twisting the story so the reader relates to the "monster". In the end it makes me question 'what is a monster?', 'what makes a monster?'. The "protagonist" at the beginning is turned into a sort of monster figure himself and the childhood fear of the grotesque monster is replaced for that of a more modern idea of what a monster it. The movie for this week has a similar premise. The vampire is seen as the monster through most of the movie but she has this childlike quality that makes it hard to brand her a monster. She is easily to relate to and when she helps the boy she is shown in the light of a hero. As a side note, this version is sooooo much better than the American one.

No comments:

Post a Comment